Sunday, February 8, 2009

Day 1: Beginning Of The End Part II

Fucking terrorists. Unreal. I caught it on MSNBC.com right after Julia told me what happened. Apparently a bomb went off around 3:30 EST at LAX, right in the terminal, strangely, however, it wasn't a huge explosive designed for maximum damage. Seems like it was a small one, blew up in the Tom Bradly International Terminal. Only one fatality, poor guy sitting next to the garbage can it was stashed in was cut open when the metal can ripped apart. There was some sort of gas released when the device blew. No-one is sure what it is, but they've got the terminal quarantined for now and government officials are on site trying to determine the nature of the gas.

Crazy Goddamn world we live in these days. Julia's nervous about flying back later in the week, and honestly so am I. LAX is shut down for now, bomb squads are combing the rest of the place in case there's more goodies stashed away. I imagine all the major airports have buttoned down their security for now, similar to the way they did during the aftermath of 9/11. I figured those Middle Eastern pricks would try some sort of attack once Obama was in office, to test the waters, so to speak, I just didn't think it would happen less than 30 days after he took office.

I'm exhausted, going to get some sleep. FEMA was nice enough to provide us with trailers to live in while we worked. Quarters are tight, I share mine with Reggie Jennings and Gary McGrane, two guys from my team down South. Reggie snores like a freaking Shar Pei with asthma and Gary can't get through the night without gassing the trailer with one of his legendary farts. Good times indeed. I talked to Abigail and the kids. They're back at our house, everyone safe and sound. Joe and Suzette were both wiped out from two days with Grammy at the beach. Makes me long for my childhood years again.

-Joe

PS: This is kind of therapeutic, think I'll keep up with it, maybe show Julia and the kids one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment