Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 4: The Beginning Of The End

Bad news today. Really bad. Four cases of H5N1-S, or the Big Bird Flu, as the mediots are referring to it have been discovered in New York City. I guess a family that flew into LAX from Singapore escaped the TBIT before lock down and caught a flight from San Diego to NYC, bringing a very dangerous passenger with them. They're isolated in a Manhattan hospital, and the CDC is already on scene. Another case was discovered in Chicago, and one was discovered in Tokyo. Our President came on and assured us that every precaution was being taken and that there is nothing to worry about.

Bullshit. How about all the people that took the flight with that family to NYC? How about all the people that breathed the air from the businessman that infected Chicago, or rode a bus with the woman in Tokyo? One of our so-called precautions is all flights have been cancelled domestic, and international as well. Julia is beside herself, trying to arrange for a car rental so she can drive home. I'm ready to walk off this job early and head back myself, but I don't want to jump the gun. If these few incidents are contained things should be alright. Plus there's been no indication (yet) that the virus can go airborne. Reggie and Gary are ready to follow my lead, we've been working as a team for almost 10 years and they trust my judgement as much as I trust theirs.

I talked to Abigail, and at my request she's keeping the kids out of school and in the house until further notice. In fact, they're all heading down to her condo this morning. I told her to call me the moment they arrive, with all the cancelled flights the roads are going to be full of pissed off travelers in rental cars. What a clusterfuck.

The only good news is they've separated the non-infected travelers from the sick ones at LAX, put them in a totally separate building. They could be released in as little as seven days. The ones that are infected are holding on for the most part, but it's been reported that three of them have slipped into a coma. Still no-one recovering. If things get any stranger I may be pulling out of here as early as tomorrow.

-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment