Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day3: The Beginning Of The End Part II

Woohoo! We restored power to downtown Pleasureville today! What a feeling of accomplishment that was! The next few days should be enough for us to restore the fallen lines that lead out to the still dark houses. The Mayor of Pleasureville (and the owner of the local butcher shop) Danny McCray thanked us all profusely, he looked as if he would cry. Travis and his gang of locals ended up showing up around noon, he apologized for missing the early part of the day and we shook hands. He was under no obligation in my mind, but his (and his gangs) participation was more than welcome.

No real news out of LA, status quo, so to speak, at least so far. The spokesman for the CDC said that the illness was indeed a strain of influenza, the flu. In fact it seems that it's a mutated version of the H5N1 strain, which became notorious during the 90s as the bird flu. There were still no reported deaths from the virus, and no more people in the terminal had come down with it since yesterday. Maybe they contained it. I keep hoping so.

Our President made another statement, praising the CDC for their hard work, thanking the residents of LA for keeping things in control and apologizing to the infected individuals and their families for the inconvenience they were experiencing. He also assured us all (or at least tried to) that this was an isolated incident, and one that would not be repeated. He's a hell of a talker, I'll grant him that.

Julia is excited about getting home to the kids tomorrow and looking forward to my return on Friday, I assured her that we were still on schedule. Abigail and the kids spoke to me briefly as well, Joe Jr reminding me about the dog he wants when I get home, he's already got a name for him: Rufus. When he told me that I felt the blood drain from my face. It was, of course, a coincidence, but a scary motherfucker of a coincidence, to say the least. Gary, Reggie, the guys from Baton Rouge and myself are all headed to the newly revived downtown to join the locals that stuck around for a few drinks. I'll write more tomorrow.

-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment